PX4FMU Autopilot / Flight Management Unit
PX4FMU is a high-performance autopilot-on-module suitable for fixed wing, multi rotors, helicopters, cars, boats and any other robotic platform that can move. It is targeted towards high-end research, amateur and industry needs.
Where to Buy
- 4x UART, 2x I2C, 1x SPI, 1x CAN
- External magnetometer port (I2C1 or I2C3, compatible with this board: 3DR magnetometer breakout board)
- microSD slot
- PPM / RC control input (sum signal format, many compatible receivers, all channels on one connector)
- Up to 8 GPIOs, 2 25mA high power, up to 4 PWM (servo out)
- Battery sense (1-18V), Buzzer (up to 1.0 A, VBAT driven)
- Reverse polarity protection on all power inputs
- Buzzer (PWM) output
- JTAG / SWD (ARM-Mini 10 pos / 0.05“ connector)
Supported Platforms / Airframes
Any multicopter, airplane, rover or boat that can be controlled with normal RC servos or Futaba S-Bus servos (S-Bus or servos: only in combination with PX4IO Airplane/Rover Servo and I/O Module, brushless motor controllers can be controlled with PX4FMU alone, up to four in a classic quadrotor setup.). More details are available on the platforms page.
Manual and Schematics
Previous revision are documented at the end of this page.
microSD Card Slot
PX4FMU has a microSD socket and can read and write FAT (16 or 32)-formatted SD / SDHC cards (the default formatting of new SD / SDHC cards). It can log data on the SD / SDHC card or read configuration files.
PX4FMU can be used on top of these carrier boards:
- PX4IO Airplane/Rover Servo and I/O Module – Fixed wing, cars, boats, 8x PWM servo output
- PX4IOAR - AR.Drone Shield – AR.Drone 1.0 and 2.0
These jumper wires are suitable for the GPS (J4) and MULTI (J1) housings below.
For the orientation of the connectors, please refer to the full manual.
- EXPANSION (J3): 2.00 pitch 2×15 pos connector (Digi-Key Link: 3M 953230-2000-AR-PR)
- MULTI (J1): Hirose DF13 15 pos housing (Digi-Key Link: Hirose DF13A-15P-1.25H(20))
- Mates: Hirose DF13 15 pos (Digi-Key Link: DF13-15S-1.25C
- GPS (J4): Hirose DF13 5 pos (Digi-Key Link: DF13A-5P-1.25H(20))
- Mates: Hirose DF13 5 pos housing (Digi-Key Link: Hirose DF13-5S-1.25C)
- USB (J5): Micro USB-B
- Mates: Cell phone data / charger cables, e.g. Digi-Key Link: ASSMANN AK67421-0.5-R
- ARM MINI JTAG (J6, not populated per default): 1.25 mm 10pos header (SHROUDED, for Black Magic Probe: TML-110-01-L-D-RA, UNSHROUDED, for ALL probes: Digi-Key Link: Sullins GRPB052MWCN-RC, Digi-Key Link: Harwin M50-3900542)
Interface to other PX4 Modules
PX4FMU can be used standalone, without any stacked PX4 carrier board, for a wide range of applications. It has 4x servo out (PWM), I2C, 1 or 2 UARTs, battery voltage sensing and a low-current 3.3V power supply output on its multi connector (details) and requires 5V power input.
Supported platforms include:
- Quadrotor/Multirotor frames (e.g. ArduCopter (PWM, 4 rotors))
- Small fixed wing aircraft (with a servo power harness and BEC)
- Cars / Rovers / boats (with a servo power harness and BEC)
The PX4 system has a stacking concept for combining the PX4FMU autopilot-on-module with a carrier board that interfaces to the platform and provides a stable 5V power supply. This concept allows customized solutions for different vehicles whilst still sharing the same autopilot module. The image on the left shows PX4FMU Autopilot / Flight Management Unit and PX4IO Airplane/Rover Servo and I/O Module stacked as complete fixed-wing/car/boat solution.
Many PX4FMU pins have multiple functions. These functions can be changed at runtime, with changes saved in the onboard EEPROM. The multi_ports page explains this mechanism in detail.
Each column represents one function mapping: SRV is for PWM servo output, AR for the AR.Drone 1.0/2.0 motor interface. The 3.3V VDD pin is a 3.3V, 500 mA current-limited power output for peripherals, e.g. a radio modem. The 5.0V VDD pin is the 5.0V, reverse-polarity protected power input.
Dimensions and 3D Model
Google Sketchup can be used to view and render the highly-detailed 3D model of PX4FMU:
EDA Files (Eagle CAD)
PX4FMU is designed with Cadsoft Eagle v6.2.
- PX4FMU v1.7 - First revision
- Tab-routed for better alignment of USB connector
- Removal of EOL BMA180 due to redundancy with MPU-6000 (BMA180 was not used in SW)
- Added pull-up on SD SPI (already present on v1.6 boards, manually added there)
- PX4FMU v1.6 - Initial public revision